Many of our members may not be familiar with the original house on the property on which our new Country Club stands.
A painting of the original home at Woodrising
Colonel Michael Maxwell Shaw, one of many officers retired from the Indian Army came to settle on the North-West Coast and purchased ‘Dean’s Point’ from a Mr. W B Dean in 1868. Colonel Shaw then decided to move to Castra to live in 1880 and sold the property to the Reverend Claude Roberts, who named it ‘Woodrising’ after his father’s parish in Norfolk, England.
Reverend Roberts built a small Church of England on the property near the river in which he held services for the scattered parishioners. Many years later the church was dismantled and rebuilt south of the then Spreyton Railway Station. This church remains on Sheffield Main Road South a little further south on the right from Squibb’s shop and apple processing shed.
The house was the original clubhouse for the Devonport Golf Club when players moved to the Woodrising site from the 9-hole course at East Devonport.
The home was also the childhood residence of a very well-known NW golfer from Devonport, Constance Henry, born 1876, daughter of the Reverend Roberts. Constance began her golfing career at 47 years of age at the Devonport Golf Club and played up until the year before she passed away at 92 years of age in 1968.
She won many Devonport and NW championship titles during her career. In 1959 the NW Ladies Golf Association decided to create an event in honour of this ‘grand old lady of golf’ and this Foursomes competition has been held annually since at different NW clubs.